In 2014, Fazer partnered with Source Trust in order to directly reach the farmers in their supply chain and achieve Fazer’s cocoa vision.
Fazer is an international family-owned company offering quality bakery, confectionery, biscuit and grain products as well as food and café services. Fazer is committed to improving the livelihoods of people in cocoa growing communities. Fazer’s cocoa vision is, that by 2017, the origin of their cocoa will be traceable and all the cocoa used will fulfil the criteria of responsible production. The “Fazer for Better Cocoa” programme supports farmers through direct sustainability programmes, such as the programme with Source Trust, as well as certified cocoa purchases.
The current programme in Nigeria aims to enhance the lives of cocoa farmers in the Fazer supply chain by investing in their capacity to produce quality cocoa and the local farming community infrastructure.
What we’ve achieved so far:
- More than 3,000 farmers have been given an opportunity to upgrade their skills in good agronomic, environmental and social practices
- Personal Protective Equipment has been made available to groups of farmers to ensure safe application and handling of crop protection products
- In September 2015 we have commenced establishment of community based seedling nurseries to deliver high quality hybrid planting material
- Improved access to drinking water through boreholes (under construction)
- As a result of the training and development activities more than 3600 farmers have reached the level of farming practices that meet the requirements of commercial certification