Lindt & Sprüngli is a founding partner of Source Trust, working together closely from the beginning to improve the impact and reach of our programs through innovative program components and concepts.
As the global leader in the premium chocolate sector, Lindt & Sprüngli looks back on a long standing tradition of over 170 years which takes its origins in Zurich, Switzerland. Lindt & Sprüngli is proud to produce the highest quality premium chocolate. But the vision is not just to make the finest products; it is to match these high standards with equally high sustainability standards in every aspect of the business. The Lindt & Sprüngli Promise is for all products leaving the factories to live up to the commitment to sustainable behavior along the value chain. For key ingredients, especially cocoa, Lindt & Sprungli initiates sustainable farming programs in order to build long term relationships and improve the livelihoods of the farmers and families.
Source Trust are working with Lindt & Sprungli in the design, implementation and monitoring of the The Lindt & Sprüngli Farming Program for cocoa beans from Ghana. The aim of this program is to improve farming practices and the livelihoods of farmers and their families, so that cocoa farming continues to be a viable choice.
We are achieving this through the four key steps of the Lindt & Sprüngli Farming Program: farmer organisation and traceability, farmer training and capacity building, investments in farmers and their communities and finally continuous improvement. The programme is verified by a third party.
Through the combined implementation of activities, the program addresses some of the challenges farmers and their communities face such as access to clean water, farming equipment and basic financial services. An emphasis is placed on reaching young adults and women farmers.
What we’ve achieved so far:
- More than 40,000 farmers have received training to improve their knowledge and enhance their farming skills contributing to better farm productivity
- 32 Specially designed Demonstration Farms show farmers hands-on how productivity and quality can be improved
- 76 nurseries setup to distribute thousands of food crop seedlings, specifically plantain, which help farming communities to produce food and supplementary sources of income
- 137 wells and boreholes installed improving access to clean water for farming communities
- 29 Village Resource Centres installed in communities, giving farmers and others in the community access to information technology